Tooth Contouring Medford, NJ
Do you have a small chip in your front tooth? Slight overlap? Uneven length? If these are minimal yet bothersome to your permanent teeth you can likely benefit from contouring or reshaping by Medford, NJ dental office, Main Street Family Dentistry. Even a bite that is slightly imbalanced can sometimes be fixed with contouring. However, to fix a tooth by contouring, you cannot jeopardize your bite. Another method will need to be taken if a bite imbalance is at risk.
What is Tooth Contouring?
Contouring/reshaping is performed by taking a drill and removing a small amount of enamel from the tooth to reach the desired appearance. Anesthesia is not necessary for pain during this since it is only the enamel being removed and no nerve endings are present in your enamel. If you haven’t yet gone through orthodontic treatment but are planning on it, we suggest looking into contouring after as the aesthetic of the teeth will change.
Advantages of Cosmetic Contouring:
- Cost – each provider is different but the average cost per tooth ranges from $50 to $250. Often times this is only a couple teeth so the cost stays low. Also, in certain situations this can be a substitute for Invisalign or braces saving your wallet quite a bit!
- Insurance – if you are having dental contouring due to an accident many times your dental insurance will pick up the cost
- Painless – since only the enamel is taken down during dental contouring there is minimal discomfort to the patient.
Disadvantages of Cosmetic Contouring:
- Tooth decay – of too much enamel is removed you can become prone to tooth decay
- Grinding Teeth – Unfortunately if you grind your teeth and try to fix this with contouring you will end up with uneven teeth again. The only way to fix this is to stop grinding your teeth permanently.
Tooth contouring is great for saving time and money on major cosmetic dentistry. Although contouring will typically not have a drastic effect, the subtle changes could be all you need! If looking for tooth contouring in Medford, NJ, contact Main Street Family Dentistry today!